Invitation to Apply and Terms and Conditions El Primer Palau 2021
Invitation to Apply and Terms, and Conditions
The Fundació Orfeó Català-Palau de la Música Catalana is holding the twenty-sixth edition of El primer Palau cycle, which offers young performers of classical music who have not yet had the opportunity to perform as soloists in a public concert the chance to make their debut in the prestigious Concert Hall at the Palau de la Música Catalana in Barcelona.
Invitation to Apply
The invitation to apply is open to string, keyboard, wind or percussion instrumentalists, singers, piano duos and already-formed chamber music ensembles with higher level or degree qualifications. Applicants must be citizens or residents of the European Union Member States born in or after 1994 in the case of instrumentalists or in or after 1991 in the case of singers.
Candidates must send the documentation requested, either by post, to the Fundació Orfeó Català-Palau de la Música Catalana, El Primer Palau, c/Palau de la Música, 4-6, 08003 Barcelona or by online forms located at the bottom of the page.
The required documentation is as follows:
- application for participation (download here if sent by post)
- a photocopy of identification document;
- certificates of studies and qualifications;
- an artistic/performance CV (along with the corresponding documental proof);
- a photograph of the artist of a high enough quality for publication (300 dpi);
- audio recording (MP3) or video (MP4, WMV, AVI); (*)
- and, if applicable, any other documentation that permits the assessment of the candidate’s artistic level.
(*) Any poor technical quality in the recording sent may negatively influence the selection of the candidate.
Candidacy to participate in the cycle implies the acceptance of these terms and conditions and any decisions deriving from the invitation to apply. The performers selected will have to accept the terms and conditions established by the organisers. Any unforeseen incident arising from this invitation to apply will be resolved by the Managers of the Fundació Orfeó Català-Palau de la Música Catalana, with no possibility of further appeal.
For more information: email@example.com
Applicants must present one or several proposals for the repertoire they wish to perform with a maximum duration of 35 minutes in their chosen category (soloist recital or chamber music).
In the case of the chamber ensembles, they must also present an appropriately documented history of the group in addition to the individual artistic CVs of each member.
If the repertoire includes unpublished or expressly commissioned works, the music score for the piece must also be presented.
In order to qualify as a candidate for the Premi Joventuts Musicals de Catalunya (Young Musicians Award of Catalonia), the programme must include a work by a Catalan composer.
The Fundació Orfeó Català-Palau de la Música Catalana, along with a potential advisory commission of experts, will select the successful candidates from the applications received.
In addition to the quality and talent of the aspiring performers, the selection will be based on the suitability of the proposals for the structure of the concerts planned by the organisers, the interest of the proposed repertoire and the variety of the overall programme.
The inclusion of pieces by current Catalan composers – alongside the classical repertoire – in the candidates’ proposed programmes will be viewed favourably when selecting the participants.
If deemed convenient, the Fundació Orfeó Català-Palau de la Música Catalana reserves the right to invite any of the candidates they consider opportune to a prior audition.
The cycle will consist of four concerts, which will take place during September and October 2021.
The concerts of the Primer Palau cycle may be partially or totally recorded by the broadcaster Catalunya Música. The participants must agree to authorise the free reproduction and/or public communication of the performances and activities associated with this cycle of concerts, without prejudice to recognising any authorship.
In parallel to the cycle of concerts, the Premi El Primer Palau will be awarded to one of the participants – individual, duo or ensemble – by a jury whose members will be announced in due course.
- The Premi El Primer Palau gives prize money of €5000 – offered by Mitsubishi Electric Europe B. V. Sucursal en España – and cannot be divided.
- If the jury considers it appropriate, they may also give a second prize of €2500 or two runners-up prizes of €1250 each.
- Catalunya Música will give one of the award-winning performers of this edition of El Primer Palau the chance to make a professional recording of a repertoire chosen by the winner as well as national and international promotion of the winner through its broadcasting channels (radio stations and European Broadcasting Union network).
- The Federació de Jeunesses Musicales of Catalonia will award the Premi Joventuts Musicals de Catalunya to the best performance of a work by a Catalan composer. The prize is participation in the Xarxa de Músiques a Catalunya (Music Network in Catalonia) circuit.
- The Confederación de Jeunesses Musicales of Spain will award the Premio Juventudes Musicales de España to one of the award-winners in the official award ceremony. The prize is inclusion in the Red de Músicas (Music Network) cycle of concerts that the JM Spain will organise in various locations around Spain in the 2021-22 season.
- A jury consisting of representatives from the music criticism scene in Barcelona will award the Premi de la Crítica (Critics Award) of €1000 for the purchase of musical material.
The official announcement of their verdict will take place at the special concert which closes the cycle.